What is gum contouring?
Many people have high or low gums, which negatively impacts a person’s confidence. If your gum structure bothers you, you can reshape them thanks to a cosmetic procedure called gum contouring. A cosmetic dentist performs this dental procedure to improve the appearance of your smile and boost your confidence.
What are the causes of an uneven gum line?
If you have excessive gum (gum tissue looks overly large and is exposed when you smile), this is known as a gummy smile. There are many contributing factors to excessive gum tissue, for example, poor oral health, medications, infections, a high lip line, or a medical condition where permanent teeth haven’t fully erupted. As a result, teeth appear shorter and cause overly exposed gums.
Gum recession is caused by excessive brushing, genetics, or dental diseases. Receding gums may result in teeth vulnerability, like an exposed tooth root that may be more susceptible to damage or decay, which may result in tooth loss.
How does the process work?
The procedure requires your dentist to use a scalpel or laser for gum reshaping.
For excessive gums:
- When you visit your dentist, the first thing he does is design a prosthetic gumline for you using special computer software.
- Your dentist also marks lines onto your gums to help guide him. This also helps you see how much gum will be removed.
- After administering a local anesthetic, your dentist contours your gum line in about 5-20 minutes, depending on the complexity of your case.
For receding gums:
- During the procedure, your dentist administers local anesthesia then grafts your gum tissue or uses tissue from a donor.
- Layering up gum tissue properly restructures your gum tissue ape in about 30 to 60 minutes, depending on your specific needs.
How much does gum contouring cost?
The cost of gum contouring depends on how much labor and time is spent on your gum and teeth. The price ranges from $50 to $400 for one tooth. For contouring your entire front gumline, the cost goes up to $3000.
Health insurance doesn’t typically cover gum contouring because it’s a cosmetic procedure. With that said, if your dentist recommends the procedure to help deter health conditions, you may receive insurance.
Is gum contouring permanent?
Yes, it is permanent, because the bone under gum tissue is also removed and contoured, and neither regrows.
Does gum contouring hurt?
No, because your dentist will give you a local anesthetic before starting the procedure. There may be some discomfort after surgery but you can get over-the-counter painkillers, like Tylenol or ibuprofen. You can also apply a cold compress to constrict blood vessels and reduce swelling.
Dentist in Charlotte, NC
Are you looking for affordable gum contouring in Charlotte, NC? Look no further! District Dentistry is here at your service. Dr. Mjahed and his team will help you achieve a pleasing smile with a healthy gum line. To book an appointment, call us at 704-910-5006 or visit our website.