Charlotte NC Dental Crown Solutions
Dental crowns are prosthetic appliances that are used to cover an entire tooth. They are made from tooth-colored ceramic and are used to restore teeth that are worn-out, cracked, fractured, chipped, misshapen, etc. They are both functionally and aesthetically restorative and are widely preferred by dentists for several purposes.
What are the applications of dental crowns?
Dental crowns can be used to restore teeth that are affected due to various internal and external causes. Some of them are as follows:
- Worn out teeth: Teeth can experience severe wear due to teeth grinding, excessive chewing of hard foods, etc. This can cause the enamel to erode, leading to shortening of the teeth, which can be restored using crowns.
- Cracked teeth: External injury to the mouth could damage the teeth and crack them. If left untreated, they can lead to further infections and the tooth may completely fail. A crown would cover the tooth in its entirety and ensure that it doesn’t fracture completely.
- Chipped/misshapen teeth: Misshapen teeth are the ones that are naturally out of shape. Such teeth or the ones that have chipped due to an external force could ruin the appearance of the smile. When covered using a dental crown, such teeth can be restored to their desired contour.
- Excessively spaced teeth: One of the types of malocclusion is spacing, which is characterized by teeth that are spaced too far away from each other. Crowns can be used to reduce the teeth and make them appear more aesthetically pleasing.
Why should you choose crowns?
- Crowns perfectly mimic the appearance or a real tooth since they are made from a tooth-colored ceramic material. No one would ever know that you have got a crown on your tooth.
- Crowns offer excellent durability and longevity. They do not wear easily even after continuous usage and last for several years with proper care.
- The biting surface of a tooth will be restored back to normal. This allows you to bite and chew food effectively.
- They help to hold weak teeth intact and prevent their failure.
How are dental crowns placed?
Getting a crown would require your dentist to conduct a detailed screening of your teeth and gums. Also, scans and x-rays of the teeth may be taken to determine their exact contour, shape, positioning, extent of wear, and to check if they are cracked. A mold of the tooth will be taken and the dimensions obtained from it will be used to fabricate a ceramic crown in a dental laboratory. Until the permanent crown is obtained, a temporary crown may be placed in its position.
Once the crown is fabricated, it will be placed on the tooth and checked for perfect fit. Any changes in the contour of the crown, if required, will be made prior to bonding it to the tooth using dental adhesives. A curing light of a specific wavelength will be used to harden the dental adhesive and bond it firmly to the tooth. The bite will be checked again to make sure the crown fits perfectly.
Fast Uptown Charlotte Dentist Appointment
Call us at 704-910-5006 or schedule an online appointment with Dr. Khalil Mjahed to get the best dental crowns in the Charlotte, NC area.
Charlotte Dental Services
Teeth are one of the most integral parts of our body and play a huge role in our...
Oral cavities are a major letdown as they ruin the appearance...
Missing teeth can be very disadvantageous, both from the aesthetic and functional...
Dental crowns are prosthetic appliances that are used to cover an entire tooth...
The aesthetics of a person’s smile is just as important as oral health...
Invisalign Clear Aligners
Invisalign is, by far, one of the most technologically advanced and accurate methods of correcting misaligned teeth...